Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Water for Elephants: A Novel

Sara Gruen

Set in the 1930's U.S., Jacob Jankowski drops out of Cornell vet school to join a small time train circus. And set in the 1990's, Jacob is an old man in a nursing home, dealing with old age and negligent family, and remembering the circus. I found the descriptions and stories of the back side of circus life interesting, but what really sold this book for me was the old man Jacob story. Two different people in different times, but the same person. And it made me think about being old and how to make that a time of dignity for myself and for others. It is hard in this age where people live well beyond their ability to care for themselves or mentally participate in the world. Well done. Maybe I will see the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment