Sunday, June 3, 2012

Run

Ann Patchett

I grabbed 4 books from the library (Patchett, random spy thriller, random sci-fi drama, non-fiction treatise on technology). When I picked up this book and read the first chapter, I was really confused since I wasn't sure which book I was reading (I forgot to look at the title before starting in and it isn't obvious on my Kindle). But once I eliminated the spy and alien genre's, the book became much more clear in purpose. In typical Patchett style, this is a story of life in a particular strange crossroads of people. And the relationships that develop are a bit convoluted. But that is what makes it interesting. Rich, white Boston politician and his Irish wife have a son and later adopt a couple more sons. This story tells of their life, particularly after the Irish wife dies and leaves the four men to fend for themselves. I like how Patchett portrays the assumptions and stereotypes of each character while also revealing the reality to the reader. So we can read with a bit of superiority, "knowing better" but at the same time, wondering if we would actually "know better" if we were in those shoes.

Read It

No comments:

Post a Comment