Saturday, August 11, 2012

Aftershocks

Harry Turtledove
Book 3 of Colonization trilogy
 Second Contact - Book 1
 Down to Earth - Book 2
 Homeward Bound - Book 4

Now that there are three world powers, and the U.S. has a significant space presence (what is really going on there), the political intrigue continues. Unfortunately, the story is wearing thin and the plot does not develop fast enough. The characters are all familiar and I like how they are starting to cross over more. Goldfarb suddenly connects with Dutuord, etc. So while the story is good enough to make me wonder how it wraps up, it is getting a bit stale. I do hope that Kassquit, Mickey and Donald become significant parts of a novel way of thinking about how to live in peace. I will also say that this book has the worst copy-editing I have ever seen. This goes beyond spelling errors. In conversations, entire sentences are attributed to the wrong character. "What do you think Joe?" said Sam. "Well Sam, I think we should have lunch" Sam responded. "Good idea" said Sam.  Huh? And this happened throughout the book on many occasions. Made me feel like I was reading a pre-press version that the author rushed to print to make a deadline. Take care of the details.
Wait

No comments:

Post a Comment