Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Oryx and Crake

Margaret Atwood

This is the prequel to The Year of the Flood. Or more accurately, the The Year... is the sequel book to Oryx and Crake, but the book's timelines are concurrent, with The Year... just a bit earlier. It is just that I read The Year... first. To be honest, having read The Year..., you don't need to read the original. There is no new information. I was expecting some back story, some interesting development to give more understanding about how the whole GMO gone wild scenario developed. I was sorely disappointed. We follow Jimmy (Snowman) after the breakdown of society and as he is "monitoring" the Crakers. We get uninteresting background, with no real new depth to Oryx or Crake. I think had I read this book first, I would never have read The Year... so I am at least glad that my order was "correct".

Skip

No comments:

Post a Comment