Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Submergence

J.M. Ledgard

The plot (such as it is) involves James and Danielle. It is really three memoirs, James, Danielle, and the one Christmas that they met and hit it off. Each individual story is the "submergence" of the title, with the joint memory interspersed for breathing room. James story is one of capture by Somali terrorists. Danielle is one of scientific inquiry into the depths of the ocean. This is really a 'state of mind' novel, giving the reader a picture of what happens in an isolated mind, whether by choice or by force. The prose is very matter of fact and at times, although I was reading from paper, had the distinct impression that I was listening to a monotonous voice giving me documentary style backstory. I must say that I didn't really understand this, thinking that this is a book to be read by a few and then discussed over coffee.

Wait

No comments:

Post a Comment