Sunday, August 2, 2015

Middlesex

Jeffrey Eugenides

I didn't have any expectations for this book, didn't even read the dust cover for a synopsis. My only expectation was from the initial chapters, that it would be the story of struggle and development of gender identity of a hermaphrodite. And it was... sort of. But Eugenides takes a broad view of this identity discussion, utilizing 2/3 of the book to tell the history of protagonist Cal back 3 generations to his Greek ancestors and their life and emigration from Turkey to the suburbs of Detroit. Cal isn't even born for most of the book and tells this history from an omniscient 3rd person version of his 1st person memoir. In hindsight, I find this historical identity formation to be fascinating, telling the story of immigration and assimilation, highlighting life in Detroit during the depression, prohibition, and civil rights. In process of reading, I found this frustrating since I was waiting for "the real story" to begin, to the point that my enjoyment of the history was diminished in my impatience. Aside from this, it really is a fascinating collection of cultural Americana descriptions that Eugenides captures. For example, the diagnosis sequence where Cal is spending time with Dr. Luce and the sociological/scientific debates of Nature v Nurture are front and center. It is so matter of fact, and yet such a pivotal national discussion as genetic research begins to enter the collective consciousness of the general public. I think I will like this book more with time as its themes continue to crop up.
Read

No comments:

Post a Comment