Tuesday, April 12, 2022

City of Brass

S.A. Chakraborty

Book 1 of The Daevabad Trilogy

A fantasy story set in the east, with eastern mythology. I loved it. With a traditional fantasy novel, the author can pull out elves and dwarves and assume that I have a basic understanding of the people, maybe adding their particular twist. In this case, no characters are known to me since this is the world of the Daeva (Djinn) where there are Marids and Peris and Ifrits and ??? All new to me, at least. Like traditional fantasy, this story follows a young (not yet acknowledged) hero on a journey with her mysterious benefactor as they are pursued by certain death. When they arrive at safety (the shielded City of Brass) not all is as safe as one would hope as the political machinations lead to a whole new set of dangers. I love that this is straight up, standard fantasy and completely new all at the same time.

4 stars (out of 4) 

No comments:

Post a Comment